The Americans for the Arts reports that the creative arts industry in New York now generates $7.1 billion in direct spending every year – that’s more than $2 billion since 2002. This means that makeup artists in New York find more professional opportunities here than nearly anywhere else in the world – from television and film to live theater productions and the fashion industry.
New York City has been called the City with Everything, the Capital of the World, and even the not-so-humble Center of the Universe. Whatever you call New York, one thing’s for certain, New York City – is where the creative industries converge to produce near endless opportunities for professionals in makeup artistry.
Just a few of the industries that support jobs for skilled graduates of makeup artist schools in New York include:
The television and film industries in New York City are unparalleled, with this city wrapping up 200 feature films and 27 television series in 2013 alone. New York’s film and television industry employs more than 130,000 New Yorkers and support more than 4,000 ancillary businesses.
Broadway remains the heart of the theatrical arts industry in the U.S. More than 11 million see a Broadway show every year in New York, with Broadway continuing to be one of the most popular visitor destinations in the country.
New York is home to more than 53,000 arts-related businesses that employ more than 336,000 people. There are more than 10,000 performing arts businesses in New York that employ nearly 60,000 people.
New York’s fashion industry employs 173,000 people, accounting for nearly 6 percent of the workforce in NYC and about $10 billion in in total wages.
How to Become a Makeup Artist in New York
To become a makeup artist in New York, you will start by qualifying for an esthetician license issued through the New York Department of State Division of Licensing Services.
Qualifying for this license starts with completing an esthetics program of at least 600 hours from a general school of cosmetology or makeup artist school in New York.
A comprehensive program of esthetics approved by the Department will prepare you to take the practical and written esthetics examinations required for state licensure. Typical classes in an esthetics program will teach you about the many facets of skin care, which include facials, waxing, and makeup application.
Other areas of study include makeup artist classes related to:
- Safety and health
- Nutrition, anatomy, and physiology
- Structure and functions of the skin
- Business practices
- Job skills
After the successful completion of an esthetics program, you must apply for licensure and take and pass the state licensure examinations. Esthetician candidates must be at least 17 years old to qualify for licensure and be able to pass a medical physical examination.
Your New York esthetician license is valid for a period of 4 years and must be maintained to keep practicing makeup artistry in the State.
Professional Opportunities for Makeup Artists in New York
The professional opportunities for makeup artists in New York are undoubtedly vast, with the majority of them found in New York City.
Film, television, and theater companies in New York support a considerable number of makeup artist jobs, however, some artists also choose to work as freelancers/independent contractors:
Television Production Companies
From “Sesame Street” and “Orange is the New Black” to “Ugly Betty” and “The Tonight Show,” television production here is spectacular.
- A&E Television Networks, New York City
- ABC Entertainment, New York City
- Aurora Productions International Inc., Huntington Station
- Bradford Entertainment, New York City
- Comedy Central, New York City
- Design TV, New York City
- Evolve Media, New York City
- HBO Television, New York City
- La Paloma Films, Oneonta
- New Amsterdam Entertainment, New York City
- Sesame Workshop, New York City
- Showtime Networks Inc., New York City
- The History Channel, New York City
Motion Picture (Film) Production Companies
Recent films such as The Wolf of Wall Street and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty continue to solidify New York as the preeminent location for everything from feature films to documentaries.
- Astoria Films, New York City
- Broadway Video, New York City
- Focus Features, New York City
- Forensic Films, New York City
- Scott Rudin Productions, New York City
- Sunset Pictures, LLC, Brooklyn
- The Motion Picture Company, New York
- The Weinstein Company, New York City
- Troma Entertainment, Long Island
- Fine Line Features, New York City
- Picturehouse, New York City
- Miramax Films, New York City
- Artisan Entertainment, New York City
- Dimension Films, New York City
- RKO Pictures, New York City
- Samuel Goldwyn Films, New York City
- Magnolia Pictures, New York City
- Screen Media Films, New York City
- IFC Films, New York City
- THINK Film, New York City
Theater Production Companies
- Broadway Theaters, New York City: includes 40 professional theaters, such as:
- Ambassador Theater
- Booth Theater
- The Broadway Theater
- August Wilson Theatre
- Gershwin Theater
- Lyceum Theatre
- Marquis Theater
- Majestic Theatre
- Palace Theater
- Winter Garden Theatre
- Studio 54
- Broadway Theater Companies, New York City: A short listing of some of the Broadway theater companies:
- Shubert Organization
- Jujamcyn Theaters
- Nederlander Organization
- Ambassador Theatre Group
- Manhattan Theater Club
- Lincoln Theatre Center
- Off-Broadway Theater Companies, New York City: A short listing of some of the off-Broadway theater companies:
- 13th Street Repertory Company
- 52nd Street Project
- Abingdon Theater Company
- AMAS Musical Theatre, Inc.
- American Globe Theatre
- The American Place Theatre
- Break A Leg Productions
- Castillo Theatre
- Jewish Theater of New York
- Lincoln Center Theater
- Manhattan Theatre Club
- Open Door Theater
- Point of You Productions Inc.
- Prosper Arts
- Sonnet Repertory Theatre
- Theater for a New Generation
- Wooster Group
Salons are popular destinations for makeup artists in New York who want to work as salon employees or independent contractors who rent booth space. Just a few of the makeup/beauty salons found throughout the State include:
- The Salon at the Ritz-Carlton, White Plains
- Julius Michael, Scarsdale
- Salon Posh, Mamaroneck
- Racine, Long Island
- Europhia Medi Spa and Salon, Astoria
- Cheveux Day Spa and Salon, Woodmere
- Sylk Spa and Salon, Penfield (Rochester)
- Salon 96 & Spa, Hornell
- Element Day Spa and Salon, Lake Placid
- Racine Spa & Salon, Racine
- Thai New York Spa & Salon, Astoria
- Rumors Salon & Spa, Latham
Salons and spas in New York City:
- Saks Fifth Avenue, Chanel
- Cheek to Chic
- John Barrett Salon
- Henri Bende, Laura Mercier
- Hale Organic Salon
- Sally Hershberger, Sharon Dorram Color
- The Stephen Knoll Salon
- Red Door Spa, Manhattan
- Shade Bar Boutique Spa and Salon, Queens
- GP Hair Salon and Day Spa, Brooklyn
- Asanda Spa Lounge, SoHo
- Premier Day Spa, Bronx